Saturday, September 18, 2010

Well im not there yet...

Well contrary to the title of this blog spot, I am not in Mexico yet. But I only have 3 days left in Birmingham! I've been spending a lot of time with friends and family that I won't be able to see for a while and getting gear and clothes together that I will have with me for the next 6 months. Basically just trying to make the most of the rest of my time here.

So I have been asked by a lot of people within the past few months why I want to go to go through YWAM in Mexico. To be honest, its been really hard to answer that question. Its best summed up by stories and experiences rather than personal thoughts or reasons. About 2 years ago I had the chance to go to the same YWAM base I will be heading to soon. There i went through a work camp and built a house for a small family, worked at an orphanage, and met many amazing people. The whole time I was also learning more and more about who God was and I got a glimpse of how fulfilling it was to live a humble life serving him in a distant mission field. The sense of purpose and significance I received from just that one week of service completely changed my life and left me wanting more. Also the people I met down there were in situations very similar to mine. A lot of the young adults in YWAM were not too sure what direction they wanted to go in life, but were serving God, growing closer to him, and trusting he would open some doors in their life and give them some direction. I feel like this is an opportunity for me to come to know God in a very real and dynamic way and get to know his plans and calling for my life.

Needless to say, living on the beach in a beautiful country away from many of the distractions and troubles we're faced with here will also be pretty awesome. As the day to leave draws nearer I just feel more ready and anxious about leaving. But I can't think of a better and more exciting way to start the next chapter of my life than the 6 months going through YWAM. I'll keep everyone updated on whats happening down there and thanks for reading!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment